Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Get to Know Lara Plümer!


     An Olympian writer, Jared Pace, interviewed Lara Plümer, our German exchange student! Here's what she had to say:
 Q: Can you speak any other languages besides German and English?
A. Yes, I can speak fluent French, too.
 Q: Are there major differences between Germany and America?
A. Yes. Politics, health care, everything is different. People are generally nicer.
 Q: How is the food different?
A. There are healthier and more traditional foods.
Meals aren't rushed; we eat with the family.
  Q: How are the schools different?
A. School is generally harder in Germany. There are three different kinds of schools, ranging from those that educate smart individuals to those that educate those that have trouble with learning.
  Q: Which classes in Homer are your favorites?
A. Art and photography
  Q: What is your favorite part about America?
A. The People
  Q: And what’s your least favorite?
A. Fast food
  Q: What do you miss about back home?
A. Family, friends, the usual
  Q: Do you have any siblings?
A. I’m an only child at home. I also have some siblings in Homer.
  Q: What about pets?
A. I have a dog.
  Q: What do you do in your free time?
A. Unicycling, hanging out with friends, choir, playing piano
  Q: Do you have a role model?
A. My oldest cousin
  Q: Is there something you learned in America that you didn’t expect?
A. The culture, and how easy the school systems are
  Q: How do you stay in touch with your family and friends back home?
A. Facebook, Skype
  Q: Have you visited any other countries?
A. Yes. I've been to all the countries in northern and southern Europe,  but I haven't  been to too many in the East.
  Q: What do you plan to do when you grow up?
A. I want to come back to America to study medicine. Then I want to go to Africa and help individuals with leprosy.
  Q: Why did you want to be a foreign exchange student?
A. I wanted to meet new people, help improve my English, and become more independent.