Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Universe

Peter Davis

     I sit, staring into the barren abyss in front of me.  The longer I stare, the more my eyes begin to wander, deeper and deeper into the universe.  It becomes apparent how many mysteries mankind has yet to unravel.  My mind begins to churn with endless questions.  Are there other living things out there?  Am I being watched right now from a far-off planet, by a foreign race?  What stones have been left unturned?  As these questions wind through my head, my eyes begin to wander again.  To the east, I see Jupiter; its chemical rings orbit like an endless rainbow.  To the west, I see Earth; it looks like a meaningless circle of colors from where I stand.  I wonder how many people are looking up at the moon, unaware that they are being watched by someone millions of miles away.  I lean back and let my head rest upon the ground. As I slowly close my eyes, my final question is: Do I dare disturb the universe?