Sunday, December 14, 2014

Meet Juan!

Meet Juan!

Ana Shore



A few weeks ago I interviewed Juan Carlos Kern, Homer High School’s newest exchange student. After looking at my list of questions, I decided to start by asking him where in Mexico he was from. He told me he was from Puebla, a large city in the southern part of Mexico. I then asked what sport he played, which I might have guessed as soccer is very popular in Mexico. He also informed me of the differences between the school systems in the United States and Mexico.  Unlike our system, the schools in Mexico have the teachers switch classrooms instead of the students. Juan said that he likes this because it is fun to stay with his friends all year. I then came to questions about food. When asked for a comparison between food in the U.S. and food in Mexico, Juan said, “Oh, this is a hard question! In Mexico, when you go in the supermarket and get tomatoes, they are fresh. In America, the tomatoes come in a can or bottle. The healthy foods here are more expensive.” He also told me his favorite American foods were hamburgers and hot dogs. Lastly, I asked why he decided to come to the U.S. He replied by telling me, “In Mexico young guys become exchange students to learn the culture of different countries and to improve their other languages. I wanted to improve my English, its not very good.” Make sure you say hello to the newest member of our school!