Thursday, February 5, 2015

My Veterinarian Experience

My Veterinarian Experience
Mel Videto
For years, my family has gone to the Crossroads Vet Clinic every time one of our pets needed a checkup or emergency care. On one of those visits, when I was about 12, my mother expressed to one of the vets my interest in the veterinarian business. The vet, Dr. Wood, told me that once I was 14 I would be able to shadow her. I was overjoyed and ecstatic, of course. Once my 14th birthday rolled around, my mom set me up to go to the clinic and observe for a few hours. It was very interesting and I learned so much. I hung out with most of the cats and dogs in the back, who usually had just come from surgery, were being boarded, or were prepping for surgery. One of the vet technicians, a very nice young lady named Cait, tucked me under her wing and showed me everything a vet tech would do. I helped her prepare vaccines for the actual vets and clean surgery wraps. I found that I did not mind doing the boring work. Along with that, I was allowed to refill the cabinets with syringes and needles. After a cat or dog had surgery, I would sit with them on the floor as they woke up from the anesthesia.
While I did a lot of work in the back of the building, I was also able to observe exams with the veterinarians. I would go into one of the rooms with them and their patient and watch as they asked questions regarding the animal’s health and activity. Usually the vets would give the client’s pet a vaccine or some other medicine for a more specific issue that they may have been having.
Over the summer, I would go in about twice a week for four hours. Since most surgeries occurred during the day, I was able to watch a ton more. The most common surgeries that I have seen at Crossroads are definitely spays and neuters. I have also witnessed several teeth cleanings. I have not yet been lucky enough to watch a dog or cat give birth, but I hope to someday. There has also been a few scattered occasions where I have been present for the putting down of an animal. The first time I was pretty shaken up, but, honestly, you get used to it. I have seen multiple cats and dogs have to be put down due to old age, disease, or, one time, a car accident. It can be quite disturbing watching a cat or dog die in front of you, but that is life.
   For anybody who is interested in becoming a veterinarian, I would definitely recommend shadowing at a clinic. You can learn a lot and figure out early if that is the right path for you. I, personally, have strayed from the idea of being a vet, but I do not regret my time at the clinic at all. It has been so much fun and I will remember everything that I have learned there.