Monday, March 21, 2016

Teacher Feature: Mr. Podsiedlik

Teacher Feature: Mr. Podsiedlik
Alyson Witt

So far, throughout my high school experience, I have been given many opportunities, many of which I have learned a great deal from. These opportunities include the chance to meet inspiring teachers and amazing people. I have also learned many critical things from them, that have shaped me into the person I have become today. I have already met many of the amazing teachers at Homer High School. However, there are also many that I haven't had the opportunity to meet. So I decided to change that by interviewing some of these teachers that I am not familiar with, in order to get to know them, and maybe even learn something from them.
One of these teachers is Mr. Podsiedlik, who I have realized is a hardworking and enthusiastic coach and teacher at Homer High School. As I interviewed Mr. Podsiedlik, he talked a lot about his family, his wife Terrie, who is an RN nurse, and his two kids. His daughter, Erin,  is a 6th-grade teacher at the Junior High. He also told me about his hobbies outside of school, including his passion for camping and fishing. He has enjoyed camping with his family since 1989, and still continues this passion today. He started camping in popup campers, until 1992 where he bought an old 1973 Coleman camper and fixed it up. He also mentioned that he enjoys going fishing with his brother, who he described as an amazing fisherman. During his life at school, he is a math teacher and a football coach and has helped with basketball for the past 33 years. He also helps at the college, teaching methods classes to help future teachers, giving them advice on how to be not only a great teacher, but also a supporter and friend. Mr. Podsiedlik also told me that he feels like his career started at age 12, where he took part in a small construction business.
       Before interviewing Mr. Podsiedlik, I knew very little about him. I knew he was a math teacher, football coach, and a very friendly person, as he always says hello to me in the hallways and usually compliments my converse sneakers. But after talking to him, I learned a lot more about him. In my further years at Homer, I intend to get to know him even better, become his student, and get the opportunity to learn many more things from him.