Monday, June 13, 2016

Homer Art Show

Homer Art Show
Alyson Witt

On Monday, May 23rd Homer High School hosted its annual art show. This show is traditionally held at the school, but due to the construction of the gym and auditorium, it was held at the Beard Building Gallery located in Cortland from 5-9 pm. Here, families, as well as the general public, were able to admire students artwork from the year while being offered refreshments. The art show spread throughout many rooms of the building, all showing the students hard work and passion for art.
Jordan Steed, a sophomore at Homer High School, takes Studio 2 and has been attending Homer's Art shows since she was a little girl. She says that they have never failed to impress her, even today as an art student herself. After attending the most recent show, I asked Jordan her thoughts of the event. She responded, “I think the art show is amazing every year. All of the students work hard throughout the year to produce these amazing projects. Although not having the art show at the school was definitely a different experience because we usually do a big picture project that looks amazing when it's finished. My favorite pieces this year were the pastel projects that the studio 4/5 students did. Everyone involved in the art program, especially Mr. Wallace and Mr. Andre, deserves credit for putting on an amazing art show every year.”  I couldn't agree more with what Jordan said.

When I went to the show it was full of eager families trying to see their children's work and taking pictures to show those who couldn't make it. I enjoyed seeing not only my work but also the art created by the upperclassmen, which was all amazing. It allowed to me to see their talent as well as what I could achieve through hard work. I look forward to the shows in the future, as well as the creativity that the next year brings.