Friday, December 11, 2015

Ukulele Club

Ukulele Club
Alyson Witt

When most people think of high school, they think of sports and academics; however, there’s always more to do to get the best high school experience. There are many activities in high school, and often we forget the ones that can be the best places to grow, achieve, and build camaraderie. Usually these places are smaller clubs and groups such as Ukulele Club. The ukulele is small, four stringed instrument, similar to the guitar, that originates from Hawaii. The purpose of this club is to give students an to opportunity to experience music in different ways and play the ukulele for enjoyment. This club is run by our school librarian, Mrs.Mann, and consists of several members. The club is held on Mondays during ninth period in the library. Many of the members of Ukulele Club are from Student Government, who contributed to the club by purchasing the ukuleles.

After talking with Niles Jenney, a member from the group, I got a better understanding of Ukulele Club and his favorite  things about being a member. I asked Niles why he wanted to join the club, Niles said "I thought It would be a good opportunity to meet new people, and it’d be fun to join. I'm also a member of Student Government, and since the club bought the instruments, I thought it would be cool to use them and I ended up enjoying it." I then asked Niles what his favorite part about joining has been, and he said "The sense of community and friendships I've built with others with the same interest.” I then asked if he would recommend the club to others, he responded by saying, “I've really started to like the ukulele, even though I faced the challenges of using a right handed ukulele although I'm left handed. I'd recommend the club to others because it's fun, you meet new people and it's a different experience." So if you want to be a part of something new, meet new people, and learn to play the ukulele, be sure to check out Ukulele Club in the library, Monday's ninth period with Mrs. Mann!