Monday, January 28, 2013

Les Misérables


Jared Pace

Les Misérables, released on December 25th, is a rendition of the famous musical and novel by Victor Hugo. This movie was directed by Tom Hooper, director of The King’s Speech, and stars Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, and Amanda Seyfried. Set during the increasingly-chaotic times of 19th century France, Les Misérables describes a surprisingly-heartwarming tale of pure sacrifice and redemption in the face of insurmountable odds. I recommend that moviegoers bring tissues, in case they feel the need to shed a few tears, as this movie sends audiences through emotionally-turbulent joyrides!
Tom Hooper did a spectacular job incorporating as much detail as he possibly could into the plot and setting. Not only that, but he also had a stellar cast and crew, and the actors each demonstrated their acting prowess in extraordinary ways. Although the film lasts a lengthy two hours and thirty-eight minutes, I guarantee that moviegoers will be engrossed by the story within the first few minutes of the film. It’s a must-see for anyone who enjoys the arts.
Personally, I have no complaints to share about the film. I felt a fervor that gradually built up over the course of the film, keeping me emotionally engaged and ultimately keeping the audience entertained. The soundtrack is superb, which only accentuates the heightened emotional moments. I was satisfied by the time I saw the credits roll off the screen, deeply gratified that I watched such a marvelous performance. Overall, a highly-recommended film that I believe everyone should take the time to see!