Monday, February 8, 2016

Semi-Formal 2016

Semi-Formal 2016
Tighe Gugerty

As the first half of the school year comes to a close, things may seem to be hectic. Midterms are just around the corner, teachers are piling on the work, and nature is piling on the snow. Yet amongst this, there is a disruption. The annual Semi-formal dance offers up a night for students to relax and just have fun. Now, as senior, I am too old to enjoy this night of dancing, but I can talk about my experiences.
As a freshman, I was alone. I had my eyes set on one girl and insisted on going with her. I turned down two offers from others just to have the chance to ask the lady of my fancy, but, never had the chance to ask. I waited too long and she was unceremoniously taken away from me before I had even the slightest chance of exposing my interest to her. This should be lesson one of the dance: don't wait to ask. If someone is really the apple of your eye, ask them to go with you. You will never go with them if you never ask them to.
This aforementioned apprehension left me dateless and demoralized. Yet once I was actually at the dance, being alone actually made my time even better. I was in good company with the others going stag and I was free to dance like crazy. I turned into a dancing machine, tearing up the dance floor and making every taken date want to be with me. Though it may seem like a grim prospect, going alone may reward you with the best time you could have.
The next year, I went with a friend as friends. This seemed to strike the perfect balance as I could let loose and didn't have to worry about what my date thought. I didn’t feel any of the pressure I would have had I taken my crush. So once again in my eternal dance wisdom, taking a friend is always an excellent option. Don't worry if you can't take your dream date because eventually your will wake up from this dream.

This advice only comes from my experiences. It is not to say that going the conventional route of taking your crush is bad but rather that alternate options provide a just as good, or even better, experience. Besides the date dilemma, don’t do anything you would regret. This is two sided;  I implore you, readers, to not do anything illegal but don’t be afraid to let loose.