Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Teacher Feature: Mr. Hatch

Teacher Feature: Mr. Hatch
Alyson Witt

Throughout life we are given opportunities. Sometimes these opportunities are to experience certain things, and sometimes they are to meet extraordinary people. Often, these opportunities are missed, and our life then changes. I have personally been given many opportunities to both experience amazing things and meet amazing people. At Homer High School there's a brilliant group of teachers and staff, who provide many opportunities for their students to grow, learn, and achieve.
           In my first twenty weeks as a freshman at Homer, I've met many people, both students and teachers. Many of whom I will forget over the years, or perhaps just vaguely remember. But there's also a lot of people I will remember and who have contributed to my high school experience. One teacher that I know I will remember is Mr. Hatch. Mr. Hatch started off as just a normal English teacher, but as I've gotten to know him, I have found that he is much more. I've learned a lot from Mr. Hatch including respect and that you can balance both work at fun simultaneously. After I was able to interview him, I got to know more about him personally and his life outside of room 218.
           The first question I asked Mr. Hatch was, "How would you describe yourself?" After a smile and a laugh, he responded, "Google Brad Pitt," which shows his open and funny personality. A student of his, Kayla Nicholson, described Mr. Hatch as, "Outgoing, caring, and the owner of a good sense of humor." The second question I asked him was about his hobbies, and in response he told me about his passion for hockey (especially the Toronto Maple Leafs), how he likes playing guitar, and enjoys spending time with his kids. I also asked him where his favorite places to travel are, and where he'd like to travel in the future. He replied that he likes going to Lake Placid, and he enjoyed traveling to the British Isles on a school trip a few years back, but that his favorite place he has been is Homer, which he said with a smile. Lastly, I asked him if he was a member or an advisor of any other clubs or activities.  I learned that he is an advisor for Student and Government and outside of school he is a member of the Cornell Hockey Association. After interviewing Mr. Hatch, I learned many interesting things about him, that many of his students do not know. I also learned that not only is Mr. Hatch an excellent teacher and mentor, but also someone who easily connects with his students, which is a trait that's important in a good teacher and friend. Throughout the rest of this year (and those to come), I plan to see Mr. Hatch in greater admiration.