Monday, October 5, 2015

The Transition to Being a Freshman

      The Transition to Being a Freshman
Alyson Witt

   Every year, Homer High School is given the opportunity to educate a new group of students known as the freshman. These students will learn not only basics such as math and science, but lessons about friendship and life's many challenges. For some students, the transition from the Junior High to the High School can be tough due to new experiences and higher standards. However, others find the transition is made easier through the freedom and adult environment of the High School.

   Vivi Knobel, a freshman this year, describes her experience at Homer High School these first few weeks, "It's been good so far. I like the High School a lot and all of my classes and teachers are great. It was hard to navigate the first few days because of the construction of stuff, but it's gotten a lot easier… there's all a lot more freedom this year and you're not limited to as much as you are in the Junior High." As a freshman myself, I feel that the transition this fall has been great. So far I've been given many opportunities and I am really enjoying the High School. The teachers and students are wonderful and I look forward to spending the rest of my high school experience with them. However, as mentioned before, the transition to being at the High School can be tough for others. For those students, I share the reassuring knowledge that as the year goes on it will get easier with the support of friends and the school’s teachers and staff. Good luck and welcome to the high school, freshman.